Barley, which has been cultivated for more than ten thousand years now, was initially found in the regions of Ethiopia and Southeast Asia. Hulled barley nutrients, per cup, include 22 grams of protein, 61mg of calcium, 245mg of magnesium, 486mg of phosphorus, 832mg of potassium, and 69mcg of selenium.

Barley Lowers Your Cholesterol




Good News For Beer Drinkers - Barley Lowers Your Cholesterol

If you are over 40 and male, you have been told repeatedly that you have to watch your blood pressure, watch your cholesterol and eat healthier. One of the main ingredients in beer, barley can help you do a much better job of health maintenance than you might expect.

Barley is a type of grain that has been cultivated for about 10,000 years. It is not only one of the most useful grains in history; it is also easy to grow. It is a member of the grass family and has been used in everything from breakfast cereals to animal feed. This is the reason my health food centric family used it a lot.

For most of the time growing up my dad would mix powers and fruits with milk and other liquids in his industrial strength blender. He even made the type of drink made famous in Rocky in which a load of foul smelling health products were topped off with raw eggs and blended. My dad had his own similar recipe long before Rocky Balboa gulped his concoction on screen.

One of the most curious meals he would make was barley. He would boil the grain and pour the water into a bottle, which he stored in the fridge. I once asked him what the liquid was for and he said "Barley water is one of the healthiest substances known to man". I jokingly replied "Is that why beer is so popular?" He responded "That's what makes whisky taste so good."

I later found out from my grandfather (who drinks neither beer nor whisky) that there are a wide variety of benefits to consuming barley, one of the main reasons for middle aged men and women is its cholesterol reducing properties. Here is what the FDA now says about the subject:

Barley contains high levels of dietary fiber and selenium (a type of antioxidants). Recent studies showed that a diet high in beta-glucan from barley helps lower blood LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol).

Barley may also help stabilize blood glucose levels, which may benefit people with diabetes. A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition in 2004 reported a 6 percent and 8 percent reduction in LDL cholesterol following consumption of diets containing barley with 3 grams and 6 grams of beta-glucan soluble fiber, respectively.

As I launch into my fifth decade of life, I heed the advice of my grandfather (he was a doctor) and father (physical therapist) and consume my barley water and mix my barley in my food. I even make some of those noxious potions my dad used to make for my pre or post workout meals.

My two sons have no interest in drinking this stuff yet but I'm sure that one day I'll be asked about barley water or some other home made health drink. I don't drink beer or whiskey but I sure love my barley. For more information on health related foods check out my free manual on fat burning at http://www.fatburningworkoutafter40.com

Written By: Dennis_Francis

Go to Top

0 comments: